This is the second part of my skincare routine post – you can see Part 1 here, which discusses my morning routine. My nighttime routine is slightly different – although most of the steps are similar, the products I use are different as I want to moisturise and repair my skin overnight.
Like I said in my first skincare post, I have always taken good care of my skin, but I feel like I’ve really found the right routine for me in the last couple of years. So here it is!
- I like to use a hot cloth cleanser in the evening, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I’ve found it gives me the best cleansing experience and leaves my skin as clean as it could possibly be! Secondly, it’s really relaxing and I find it gets me ready for sleeping, as it helps me to unwind (it also contains essential oils, which help too!). My favourite hot cloth cleanser is this White Rabbit Comfort Cleansing Balm.
- I tend to use a water-based cleanser (Nivea or Garnier Micellar, or White Rabbit Skincare Lime & Coconut Cleansing Water) or these handy eye makeup remover pads (below) to remove my makeup (particularly eye makeup) first – now you don’t have to but I prefer to as it stops my flannels getting covered in makeup!
- I take a small amount of the cleansing balm and massage it into my face, then run my clean flannel under the hot tap. I squeeze the excess water out of the flannel and then gently use it to remove the cleansing balm. The warm flannel feels so lovely on the skin! PS – my hair is wet in these photos if you’re wondering why it looks strange!!
- Next up, I use my night serum, and this is where the extra step comes in. I always add a few drops of facial oil to my nighttime serum. Facial oil is great as it gives much greater moisturisation than a regular moisturiser. They can also reduce the appearance of fine line and wrinkles because they plump skin cells and make them look fuller. You could apply it separately but I find it easier just to add a couple of drops into the serum on my hand. I’m currently using the Superdrug B.Nourished Night Serum (cruelty free) and a mini bottle of Indie Lee Moisturising Oil. I got the oil in a past beauty box and absolutely love it, but after looking at the price of the full-sized product, I will definitely not be repurchasing it!
- Next I apply the same eye serum I used in the morning (Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye), patting it gently around the eyes. You must always be careful to pat with your ring finger, not rub or drag the skin around your under eyes, as it’s really delicate.
- Finally, I smooth on my night cream (moisturiser). I always use a different moisturiser at night than in the morning. You can generally use a slightly thicker, more nourishing cream at night as you don’t have to worry about looking oily and shiny! You also of course don’t need one with an SPF. Overnight is a great time for the skin to soak up the products you put on it and do some repairing. At the moment I’m using the Elemis Tri-Enzyme Resurfacing night cream as it came in a free gift, but I have used endless different brands. It’s usually best to just try a few different ones and see which your skin likes!
I know this seems like a long process but it actually really doesn’t take long. Skin is our largest organ and is well worth looking after. I also find my nighttime routine quite relaxing and it helps me get ready for sleeping.
What’s your skincare routine? What are your favourite products? Let me know in the comments or follow me on social media!Never miss another post from me! Click below to follow me on Bloglovin. If RSS or social media are more your style, check out my sidebar! Follow